Attention Newport County Scholarship Seekers: RI Foundation Scholarship Deadlines Approaching
More than 150 scholarships available for RI students; Deadlines Approaching to Apply
The Rhode Island Foundation awarded more than $900k in scholarships in 2010
Rhode Island - More than 150 scholarship funds are available to assist Rhode Island students and families with education costs in 2011. The scholarship funds, established by generous donors and organizations to help defray education costs, are managed by The Rhode Island Foundation. Last year alone, the Foundation distributed $930,000 in scholarship assistance to recipients from every corner of the state studying subjects as diverse as nursing, music, foreign languages, communications and jewelry design.
“Scholarships help a huge amount. Books cost thousands of dollars every year and even though scholarships usually make up a small percentage of the total costs of education, they help more than you might think. My scholarships paid for my books for the entire year,” said Tyler Cloutier, a 2010 recipient of scholarships from two funds administered by The Rhode Island Foundation: the Aldo Freda Scholarship Fund and the Bernard and Henrietta O’Rourke Scholarship Fund. A 2010 graduate of Lincoln High School, Tyler now is a freshman at Johns Hopkins University in Baltimore where he is studying engineering.
Scholarships have become increasingly important to students and families who are facing rising education costs. Just a sampling of some of the scholarships available for Rhode Island students:
- The Bernard and Henrietta O’Rourke Scholarship for residents of Lincoln, RI, with financial need who are pursuing an undergraduate or graduate degree.
- The United Italian American Inc. Scholarship for Rhode Island residents with financial need, superior academic achievement and leadership in school and/or community who wish to attend a two- or four-year college or university.
- The RDW Group, Inc. Minority Scholarship for Rhode Island minority students studying communications at the undergraduate or graduate level.
- Lawrence, Allen, Singletary Scholarship for seniors who graduate from Providence's Hope or Central high schools with a GPA of 2.75 or higher. Recipients must demonstrate financial need, participate in an organized local religious group, and demonstrate community and civic involvement.
- Patty & Melvin Alperin First Generation Scholarship for a Rhode Island high school senior whose parents did not graduate from college.
- Jennie M. Kiernan Scholarship for Rhode Island residents of Blackstone Valley with financial need.
- Johnston Lions Armand Muto Scholarship for graduating seniors who are residents of Johnston.
- Ladies Auxiliary Bristol Volunteer Fire Department Scholarship for children of deceased/active members of the Ladies Auxiliary or Bristol Volunteer Fire Department.
- Rhode Island Commission on Women/Freda Goldman Education Award to assist Rhode Island women with transportation, child-care, tutoring, educational materials, and/or other support services.
- Lily and Catello Sorrentino Memorial Scholarship for students 25 years of age or older.
- Miss Swinburne Scholarship for women living in Newport County with financial need.
Interested applicants may review eligibility requirements and application procedures for these and all available scholarships on the Rhode Island Foundation’s scholarship online directory at www.rifoundation.org (click on SCHOLARSHIPS). Students may apply online for the scholarships listed above through our free online scholarship application system. There is an online scholarship questionnaire to help students determine eligibility for scholarships administered by the Foundation.
Many other scholarships available to Rhode Island students are administered by designated schools, guidance departments, and organizations. Some of these scholarships are directed to residents of specific cities and towns, like Newport and Westerly, and others are directed to intended areas of study. Interested applicants may contact the schools and organizations directly. The contact information is also available at www.rifoundation.org.
Several scholarships have application deadlines in late April and deadlines continue until mid-June. Please visit the web site for more information.
If you require additional information, contact Libby Monahan, funds administrator, at email@example.com or (401) 427-4017.