Welcome back, Patch Blogger!
Friday: The Weekend Guide
A look at what's happening in and around Middletown this weekend.
About this column: Essential daily tidbits for Middletowners.
Middletown High School Sports
- The Middletown High School sports teams have a busy weekend lined up. The Girls Varsity Basketball Team will take on Juanita Sanchez High School at 7 p.m. at home on Friday night. The Boys Varsity Hockey Team will compete against East Greenwich High School at 1 p.m. at the St. George’s Hockey Rink, and the Girls Varsity Gymnastics Team will compete against Barrington, N. Kingstown, and S. Kingstown at the Newport County YMCA at 3:30 p.m.
- The Potter League is offering a free Dog Agility “Try It” class for first-timers who want to see if they’re dogs will enjoy the class on Saturday from 1 to 2 p.m. Pre-registration is required and can be done by calling 846-8276.
- The Middletown Historical Society will present a lecture on “The Hessian Occupation of Newport 1776-1779” with Walter Schroeder at 2 p.m. at the Middletown Public Library. Admission is $5 per person or $7 per family. This is the first of three lectures the Middletown Historical Society is offering throughout the winter.
- The Newport Children’s Theater will present Louisa May Alcott’s Little Women at Rogers High School on Friday at 7 p.m., Saturday at 1 p.m. and 7 p.m., and Sunday at 4 p.m. Tickets are $10 for adults, $8 for seniors, and $6 for children under 12.
- The Newport Parks & Recreation Department will host Mini Golf at the Hut on Friday night from 6:30 to 9:30 p.m. Admission is $9 for adults and $7 for children 12 and under.
- Saturday is “Give Back” Day at the Skate Newport from 10 a.m. to 9 p.m. The public is invited to donate new or gently used coats to the Amica Coat Drive to benefit the Saint Joseph’s Soup Kitchen as well as to participate in the blood drive that will be taking place from 11 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. Blood donors will receive their choice of a Skate for Free pass or one pound of Dunkin’ Donuts coffee. The rink will also be requesting $1 donations for the RI Special Olympics and will match each dollar donated. There will also be kids’ activities from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. along with free Dunkin’ Donuts samples and free hot chocolates.
- The Newport Art Museum’s Winter Lecture Series will kick off on Saturday at 2 p.m. with Darrell West, VP of Governance Studies and Director of Technology Innovation at the Brookings Institution. West will speak on “Politics 2012: What’s Going On?” The series will continue each Saturday through February 25. Admission is $10 for members or $15 for non-members.
- Newport Cooks! will offer a Shared Sunday Suppers class focusing on Italian, Swiss and French Fondue on Sunday at 5 p.m. The class is $55 and is BYOB. Register by calling 293-0740.
, Middletown Historical Society
, Newport Cooks!
, Potter League
, Skate Newport
, and newport children's theater