Hard Work, Get Fit, Hanging Rock and More
What's the buzz around Middletown this week?
With the new year, it seems time is either on people's minds or on their side. As many are making resolutions for change and fresh starts, Middletown's got opportunities to try a new career or new workout routines. And speaking of careers and routines, find out who's been recognized this week by the Middletown Town Council for their many years of service, along with other fast updates about town.
- Several town employees were recognized for their years of service at the Town Council meeting held Monday, Jan. 3. Lisa Sisson (MPD-Admin) has given 30 years of service. John C. Peckham, Jr. (DPW), Charles E. Dietz (DPW), Robert A. Hanley, Jr. (DPW), and Clayton B. Wilber (DPW) have given 20 years of service. Perry P. Venancio (DPW), Pamela Correia (Finance), and Deborah Barrett (Finance) have given 10 years of service. Rebecca Fisher (MFD), Keith Notarianni (MFD), and Marc Tanguay (Finance) have given five years of service.
- The Newport County Real Estate School at 26 Valley Road will hold a Sales Pre-License Course starting Monday, Jan. 10. The class will be held every Monday and Thursday night through Monday, Feb. 28, from 6 to 9 p.m. The class includes all materials and is $250. Call 849-5936 for more information.
- Innerlight Center for Yoga & Meditation is offering a workshop for those new to yoga on Saturday, Jan. 8, from 2 to 5 p.m. This class is taught by Barbara Gee and is geared toward anyone who's wanted to try yoga, but wants to learn more about techniques, terminology, philosophy, studio etiquette and more. A detailed handout will be given to all students. The cost for the class is $40. To learn more or register online, click here.
- The Newport County YMCA Winter Session registration is open to both members and non-members. Classes begin this week and include everything from swim classes for infants through adults, basketball, gymnastics, boot camps and more. See the attached PDF file for the complete schedule.
- The Beach House is having a post holiday sale through Sunday, Jan. 16. All Christmas items are 50 percent off and all other store merchandise is 20 percent off, with some exceptions. The store is open Monday through Saturday from 9:30 a.m. to 6 p.m. and Sunday from noon to 5 p.m.
- Hanging Rock Road will remain closed between Sachuest Point Road and Third Beach Road through Jan. 14, 2011. All vehicle and pedestrian traffic should seek alternate routes.