A number of local businesses are saluting veterans, military service men and women, and their families this Veterans Day by offering local discounts, specials and promotions. Many of these great deals can be found both on and off the Island, and some are offered Veterans Day only, while others are noted as year-round:
for military service men and women only:
- Applebee's: Free dinners to active duty military and veterans throughout the day. The nearest Applebee's is located in Middletown.
- Chili's: Free Veterans Day Meal. Qualifying participants have their choice of one of six entrees. The nearest Chili's is located in Middletown.
- Outback Steakhouse: Free "blooming onion" appetizer on menu, and beverage. The nearest Outback is located in East Greenwich and in Seekonk, MA.
- UNO Chicago Grill: Free entrée or individual pizza with an entrée or pizza purchase of equal or greater value. Click here for the nearest locations.
- McCormick & Schmick's Seafood Restaurant, 11 Dorrance St., Providence. Complimentary entrée from a special menu. Space is limited. Reservations recommended. call (401) 351-4500 for reservations or information.
- Sam's Club, Seekonk, Mass: More than 25,000 Hugo canes will be given away to veterans in need of mobility assistance. Membership is not required, and supplies are limited.
For Everyone to enjoy:
- All national parks, forests and monuments offer free addmission to all on Veterans Day. Go and Enjoy the scenery!
- Dine Out for a Cause at the Ninety Nine Restaurant on the Connell Highway in Newport. According to URI's Rhode Island 4-H program website, diners may print out and bring the flyer available here and the restaurant will donate 15% of the purchase to Operation Homefront: New England, which donates school supplies and services to military children with deployed parents.
- Dunkin' Donuts: Through Nov. 14, customers may buy two pounds of coffee and have one pound delivered to the USO. Dunkin Donuts has pledged to donate over 100,00 pounds of coffee in this manner. Two locations in Middletown are participating: One Dunkin Donuts is located on East Main Road near the Bank of America and on West Main Road across from the Staples/Home Depot Plaza. The USO supports troops and their families deployed all over the world with entertainment, services and helps them to keep in touch with home.
Did you know national and local businesses consistently offer discounts to support military families?
- The Home Depot is currently supporting troops and their families with a 10-percent discount through Nov. 11. The company frequently offers similar military discounts throughout the year. If you're not sure if one is happening, simply ask the cashier, who will be able to tell you if that offer is currently active. It's not something vendors heavily advertise. The nearest Home Depot is located in Middletown.
- The Newport County Chamber of Commerce also provides a comprehensive guide to discounts throughout Aquidneck Island and beyond, as part of the "RI Salutes" retail and discount program. Check out www.risalutes.com for a complete listing of all local and state businesses enrolled in the program and remember that most of these offers cannot be combined with other coupons. For more information, call the Chamber at (401) 847-1608 or email email@example.com.
THE DISH: more Secret Discounts!
- Check out the Facebook pages and twitter sites for your favorite providers. Last year vendors like Dave Ramsey's Financial Peace University and many other online retailers offered special one day only discounts off their most popular products for Veterans Day. Check out their websites and fan sites (Twitter and Facebook) bright and early Thursday morning for announcements of this year's deals. They don't usually announce this ahead of time so you have to log on Thursday to participate. Then log on to their websites to purchase your favorites at a discount. Some sites only give discounts to military. Some do online discounts for all and donate something to a military charity. A great tip to support your troops!
Remember, the whole point of Veterans Day to thank and remember our troops and November is Military Family Month. Thank you to our troops and their families for your service, and thanks to all of the local businesses and Newport County Chamber of Commerce for supporting our troops and their families.
Are you a local business offering a special discount for Veterans Day? Please email firstname.lastname@example.org and we will list your business and discount too.