NWEA Testing, Summer School and Strongman Contest Keep Students Busy This Week
A roundup of the events happening in Middletown's schools for the week of May 23-28.
- There will be no school Monday, May 30 in observance of Memorial Day.
- The Middletown Education Collaborative has named Aquidneck School teacher Josie Brennan-Corey as Educator of the Year for 2011.
- The Middletown Public Schools summer school enrichment programs have been announced. See attached program guide for details and registration information.
- New student registration for all students not currently enrolled in Middletown Public Schools is open. To register, parents need to call the administration office at 849-2122 to make an appointment. The student to be registered does not need to be present. Appointments are available on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Registration forms can be found online.
MIDDLETOWN HIGH SCHOOL
- The Freshman/Sophomore Barbeque will be held on Thursday, May 26 from 12:30 to 1:40 p.m. in the MHS courtyard.
- A Blood Drive is scheduled for 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. Friday, May 27 in the MHS gymnasium.
- MHS' Strongman Contest will take place from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. Saturday, May 28 in the MHS parking lot and gymnasium.
- Brown University’s high school summer program is now accepting applications. The program is open to all high school students and will be held from July 5 to July 27. For more information and application info, go to www.brown.edu.
GAUDET MIDDLE SCHOOL
- Students in grades 4 through 8 will undergo NWEA testing in reading and language throughout the week. For a schedule of which students will be tested on each day, click here.
- The Builder’s Club will have its last meeting from 2:15 to 3:15 p.m. on Tuesday, May 24. This community service program is presented by the Kiwanis Club in an effort to teach students the benefits of giving back to their community. This after school program is free and open to GMS students in grades 5 through 8. Registration is required. For more information, contact Carmela Geer at firstname.lastname@example.org or 418-0071.
- Mentors for the Moment will meet on Tuesday, May 24 and Thursday, May 26 after school in the GMS Library. Members of the MHS National Honor Society will be on hand to help students in grades 5 through 8 with homework. Computer access will also be available. Registration is required. For more information, contact Carmela Geer at email@example.com.
- First grade students have a field trip to the Norman Bird Sanctuary scheduled for Tuesday, May 24 and Wednesday, May 25.
- The last Pop and Shop of the school year will be held on Friday, May 27.
FOREST AVENUE SCHOOL
- The Forest Avenue School Improvement Team is scheduled to meet at 7:30 p.m. Wednesday, May 25.
- The Forest Avenue School Book Fair will begin on Friday, May 27.
- The last School Store of the school year will be held on Friday, May 27.
THIS WEEK’S HOME GAME SCHEDULE FOR MIDDLETOWN SPORTS:
- The MHS Girls Junior Varsity Lacrosse Team will compete against Westerly High School at 4:30 p.m. on Monday, May 23.
- The MHS Girls Varsity Lacrosse Team will compete against Westerly High School at 6 p.m. on Monday, May 23.
- The MHS Freshman Baseball Team will compete against Barrington Public Schools at 3:30 p.m. on Tuesday, May 24.
- The GMS Baseball Team will compete against St. Margaret School at 3:30 p.m. on Wednesday, May 25.
Please note that the above information may change or may be canceled due to weather.