People’s Credit Union has announced the six area recipients of the 2011 Grade 8 Scholarship Contest.
Each of the winners will be honored during a ceremonial first pitch at People’s "FANatic About Reading Night" at the Newport Gulls game on Wednesday, July 22.
According to the announcement, the following local scholarships were awarded to one student in each town where People’s has a branch location:
- Keri Heuer, Middletown, Gaudet Middle School
- Sarah Morris, Newport, Thompson Middle School
- Daniel Donnelly, Portsmouth, Portsmouth Middle School
- Melanie DaSilva, Bristol, Kickemuit Middle School
- Alyson Fairbrother, Wakefield, Monsignor Matthew F. Clarke School
- Amanda Gormley, North Kingstown, West Bay Christian Academy
The scholarships were awarded based on school involvement, community involvement and the answer to an essay question, according to the announcement. Each scholarship recipient will receive $500, with the opportunity to increase that amount each year of high school. From Grade 9 through Grade 12, for each final grade that is an "A," $50 will be added to the total scholarship amount; for each "B," $25 will be added.
“We are proud to offer this scholarship for the fourth year in a row to the youths in our communities. Each winner makes a positive impact in their school and their community. They are all very well deserving,” said Ellen N. Ford, People’s President and CEO, in a prepared statement.
People’s Credit Union has locations in Bristol, Middletown, Newport, North Kingstown, Portsmouth and Wakefield.
Congratulations to the scholarship recipients!