Invite a friend
Newport Winter Festival: Beach Polo Returns
Beach Polo, organized by Newport Polo Inc., will feature as many as four competing teams playing in four-chukker matches on both afternoons, Feb. 19-20, at low tide at Sachuest (Second) Beach in Middletown. Spectators are encouraged to witness the fast patced contests and cheer on the teams. Beach Polo made its debut last year at the Winter Festival.
|Where||Middletown Sachuest Beaches, Boat Ramps & Moorings 474 Sachuest Point Road, Middletown, RI 02842|
|Next on||This event is over.|
|Phone||For weather update call 846-0200.|
More About Middletown Sachuest Beaches, Boat Ramps & Moorings
Middletown's Sachuest Beaches, collectively, were recently named among the Top 5 Beaches in New England, and it's a no-brainer why.
Sandy beaches with gentle drop-offs, predictable rolling waves and waters warmed by the Gulf Stream lure surfers as well as families to Sachuest Beach's most visited and expansive beach, "Middletown Second Beach."
Add to that picture-perfect grassy dunes and sweeping vistas of the neighboring Norman Bird Sanctuary and 242-acre Sachuest Point National Wildlife Refuge -- along with reasonable day and seasonal parking rates to town residents as well as out-of-towners -- and Middletown beaches have all the makings for both the perfect stay-cation for local residents or travel destination point for out-of-towners initially lured to Newport.
Middletown's Sachuest Beaches include several beaches within and around Sachuest Point:
- Second Beach - 1.25 miles of sandy white beach at 474 Sachuest Point Road; Includes beach pavilion with restrooms, showers, concessions, lifeguard duty; Wildlife Center; Surfing is permitted; Pets are not allowed during the busy season. When they are permitted, they must be leashed and strict fines are enforced.
- Third Beach - Located at 3rd Beach Road, this stretch of beach also spans the Third Beach Boat Ramp, Middletown Town Beach, and semi-private beaches Peabody and Third Beach Club.
- Middletown Town Beach - A resident-only parking lot is located between the 3rd Beach boat ramp and the Peabody Beach. Residents may use either their 2nd Beach Parking Sticker, or a special Town Beach/ Third Beach Parking Sticker, which are free of charge.
- Third Beach Boat Ramp - Located on Third Beach Road.
- Third Beach Mooring Area - Accessible by the Third Beach Boat Ramp, located on Third Beach Road.
Click here for a satellite area view and area map and directions.
Before hitting the beach, click here for the latest water quality updates from the RI Department of Health.