Invite a friend
Rare Guided Tour of Restored Mansion Gardens
The New England Landscape Design and History Association (NELDHA) kicks off its new program – the Preservation Network – with a rare guided tour of the classic gardens of The Elms, a famed Newport mansion owned by the Preservation Society of Newport County, RI. The discussion will cover the landscape restoration in detail, including the challenges overcome and solutions implemented to preserve one of the great landscapes of America’s Gilded Age. Tour will be held rain or shine.
$20 member/$25 nonmember
Make checks payable to “NELDHA” and mail to: NELDHA/Rose Marques, P.O. Box 41363, Providence, RI 02940. Spaces are limited and will only be reserved with full payment in advance. Deadline May 5, 2012. Please include a phone number on your check.
More About The Elms
The Elms was the summer home of Mr. and Mrs. Edward Julius Berwind of Philadelphia and New York. Modeled after the mid-18th century French Chateau d'Asnieres, the home was completed in 1901 and reportedly cost $1.4 million to build.
The interior includes collections of Renaissance ceramics, 18th-century French and Venetian paintings and Oriental jades. The garden grounds include marble and bronze sculptures, trees, marble pavilions, fountains, a sunken garden, a carriage house and a garage.
The Preservation Society of Newport County purchased The Elms in 1962 to open the home to the public and it was designated a National Historic Landmark in 1996.