How the Summer Reading Program will be structured:
1) First, the children create their reading log… Visit the Children’s Department to sign-up for your free reading log beginning June 2nd. Your goal is to read 5 books over the course of 8 weeks. You can do it! Longer books (think Harry Potter!) will count as more than 1 book. For every book a child reads or is read to, record it in the reading log, deposit a token into our Wish Bank, and start on a new book.
2) Win Some Prizes… Every week during the Summer Reading Program (starting Friday, June 22nd), you can enter for a chance to win a prize – including gift certificates to Frosty Freez, Island Books, Newport Creamery, and more! Just visit the Children’s Room Desk and show us your progress in your reading log to be stamped, and you can submit an entry into our weekly raffle.
3) Read 5 books to be invited to our Ice Cream Sundae Party on Saturday, August 25th at 11am!
If you’ve read 5 books for your reading log, you’ll receive:
- 2 free books of your choosing,
- a book dedicated to you in the library,
- a reading certificate,
- and an ice cream sundae party here at the library!
Scheduled Performers and Dates: All programs are FREE. Some programs require pre-registration and have limited seating. Please check our website for details on each program.
- Tuesday June 26th at 11am: Bjorn the Magician. Ages 4 and up.
- Monday July 9th at 11am: Shawn Middleton, Storyteller. Ages 4 and up.
- Tuesday, July 17th at 11am: Greg Cooney, Musician. Ages 5 and up.
- Tuesday, July 24th at 11am: Rick Morin and the Rhythm Imaginarium. 60 limited seats available, register with Children’s Department. Ages 4 and up.
- Tuesday, July 31st at 11am: John Tierney and Burt the Raccoon.
- Tuesday, August 7th at 11am: Audobon Owls of RI, “Goodnight Owl” storytime with a live owl for PreK children. 20 limited seats available, pre-register with Children’s Department.
- Thursday, August 9th at 1pm: Ronald McDonald’s Book Tour
- Tuesday, August 14th at 11am: Mad Science! Ages 4 and up.
- Saturday, August 25th at 11am: Ice Cream Sundae Party. This party is for children who have met their reading goal for the summer. If you have met your goal but will miss the party, we’ll have a Summer Reading Bag for you to pick up until mid-September.
Storytimes will also be available throughout the summer. Please check our monthly schedule in the library as well as online at www.middletownpubliclibrary.org for dates and times. Also, please visit the library for free or discounted passes to local attractions throughout the summer.
Reading for Wishes with
Make-A-Wish Massachusetts and Rhode Island
Q: What is Reading for Wishes?
A: This year, in support of Make-A-Wish Massachusetts and Rhode Island, we are Reading for Wishes. By reading together, we can help make a Rhode Island child’s wish or dream come true!
Here’s how it works: For every book that a child reads, they get a “dime” from the librarian to put into our Wish Bank at the library. This dime will be matched in funding from the Friends of the Middletown Public Library to help a child’s wish come true. The more books we read, the more money we raise – so let’s see how much money we can put in our Wish Bank this summer!