Although we are in the last month of summer, students do not need to leave the beach to learn about local career and educational opportunities that are available after high school.
This Thursday, the Newport County Co-op Mentor Group will host a career day at Second Beach.
“A very important part of the Newport County Mentor-Co-op Group’s mission is to avail our county's high school students of the many career opportunities available in Rhode Island,” said the group’s founder Christopher Semonelli. The beach setting was chosen to “bring the businesses to the students” and is a natural extension for the group’s summertime efforts.
The event will be located at the large shade structure east of the concession stand on Thursday, Aug. 15 at Second Beach in Middletown from 11 a.m. until 3 p.m.
A growing list of representatives from business and educational facilities are scheduled to attend:
- IYRS | Trades & Technology School
- CCRI New England Institute of Technology
- New England Tech
- Salve Regina
- Guill Tool & Engineering Co., Inc Swissline Precision Manufacturing
- FabNewport Team, 3D printer group
- Southeastern New England Defense Industry Alliance (SENEDIA)
- General Dynamics Electric Boat
- Stepping Up
- Rhode Island Small Business Development Center
- Laura Jean Denim
- NCMA RI (National Contract Management Association, RI Chapter)
- Cherie Lawson, VP of Northeast Manufacturing, Circuit Boards
- Custom House Coffee in Portsmouth
“We want to thank the Town of Middletown, the Middletown Economic Development Committee, Second Beach staff, the Beach Commission and the participating business and educational foundations for their efforts in making this a great opportunity available to our area youth," Semonelli said.