Development… long ago was not a word the Aquidneck Island settlers probably used often. Their lifestyles focused on fishing and boating. Today, life is very different. We can all see that development is all around us...
What’s the point? It’s simple, is development enough? Yes, we have newly crafted restaurants, beautiful beaches, and charming stores, but I can’t help but to feel like we are missing something...DIVERSITY?
Diversity is commonly referred to as the blending of cultures or even races; diversity can also be used in any way to describe an assortment of elements. I like to think, the fusing of ideas and businesses as assorted elements delivering diversity.
For example, we sit in the palm of Boston and New York and our main festival highlights include the Jazz and Seafood Festivals. Don’t get me wrong, they are not to be taken lightly as they generate traffic and income to our coastal society. I also know if I’m in search of diversity, I could travel and find it; however, why should I? Aquidneck Island is heating up and the streets, parking spaces, and beaches will all be filled soon?
Why with the influence of cultures, affluence, highly educated youths, and the opportunity for change, don’t we use what we have and diversify or infuse creativity into our colonial history? A slight remodeling to this island could help everyone…
What did I have in mind??
1. Boats from different companies could you offer annual party on the water?
2. Neighboorhoods let’s block some of you off and hold the restaurant and wine tour days. The best of the best sample their delicious delectables out on the streets? Large festivals for street vendors, local artists, and kids?
3. Locals connected to music… host a music event or a block party that supports a non-profit initiative? "Current Headliners" could visit here instead of us traveling out of town. We have tons of outdoor seating.
4. Massage and facial experts… why not get together and host the first annual day of beauty, where every man in your booth or chair gets a deal?
5. Nonprofits lets support your causes all together and bring awarness to the streets.
St. Patty’s and July 4th weekends shouldn’t be the only times when we see our neighbor fully decorated and lined up in the streets. We have a multitude of organizations out there that can help from the Chamber of Commerce to the New England Diversity Council… Islanders get involved and infuse diversity on the island, hosting and offering a twist or two, especially when we all know in four months will be boarding up and slowing down.
Talk amongst yourselves…it’s about time… can develop or inspire a little change?