The active search for missing 17-year-old Theodore Oliviera was suspended at 7:29 p.m. on Wednesday, the Coast Guard announced in a release.
The announcement came less than two hours after a vigil was held for Oliviera at
Oliviera's friends and family also were able to earlier today.
by his mother and was last seen on a dinghy in Newport Harbor late Monday night.
Rescue crews searched more than 620.4 square miles with 10 water-borne assets with no sign of Oliviera, the release stated.
"Its always a difficult decision to suspend a search because we are always focused on locating who we are searching for," said Senior Chief Petty Officer Jamey Kinney, command duty officer at Coast Guard Sector Southeastern New England. "Our thoughts and prayers remain with Mr. Oliviera's family and friends through this difficult time."
Searching were crews from:
- Coast Guard Station Castle Hill, R.I.
- Coast Guard Air Station Cape Cod, Mass., MH-60 Jayhawk helicopter
- Coast Guard Air Station Cape Cod HU-25 Falcon aircraft crew
- The 87-foot Coast Guard Cutter Hammerhead, homeported in Woods Hole.
- Narragansett Marine Task Force crews
- Portsmouth Metro Task Force
- Middleton Fire Department
- Warwick Marine
- Jamestown Marine
- North Kingston Marine
Anyone with any information should contact the , which can be reached at 401-847-0088.
Stay tuned to Patch for details. Click here to sign up for newsletter updates and breaking news alerts