After a contractor inadvertently caused a gas leak at today, almost 500 Middletown residents remain without gas tonight. National Grid officials said they hope to restore service to 200 customers by 9:00 this evening and have all customers back up by tomorrow.
There are currently 50 technicians in the neighborhood working to restore service, said the gas company.
Around 9:30 Thursday morning, a private contractor employed by St. George’s School hit a four inch gas line, which caused it to leak. In attempt to stop the leak, a school employee ran to the National Grid regulator building located on campus and turned off the gas valves.
That action shut off gas service to 490 Middletown gas customers in the area, immediately adjacent to the school. National Grid said they were able to repair the leak in almost “no time at all,” but since the valves were shut off to the customers, their job had just begun.
Throughout the day, National Grid employees went to all 490 customers and shut off the individual meters.
"All gas meters affected were shut down at 6:40 p.m," said Middletown Fire Chief Ronald Doire.
Now once the main is back on, National Grid employees must return to each customer to turn the meters back on and re-ignite the pilots. Customers will need to be home to grant the employees access to the pilots, said officials.
The National Grid Customer Center has extended hours until 9 p.m. if customers would like to schedule a technician. The number is 1-800-322-3223.