The following information was submitted by the Newport County Chamber of Commerce.
The Board of Directors of the has unanimously voted to oppose any and all tolls or toll i and the Sakonnet River Bridge. Any additional tolls would place an additional and unfair burden on Newport Pell and Sakonnet Bridge users, especially Aquidneck Island businesses, residents, and border state commuters.
Additional tolls would:
- Increase the cost of goods and services to Aquidneck Island and the East Bay
- Increase the cost of doing business to all Aquidneck Island businesses
- Increase the cost to commuters who travel the toll bridges
- Increase the cost of compensation/recruitment for employers seeking qualified candidates from Southeastern New England
- Decrease our competitive position in preparation for the anticipated 2015 Base Realignment and Closure (BRAC) process by increasing the commuter cost for the Defense industry including Raytheon, NUWC and Naval Station Newport employees who commute over tolled bridges
The Board also expressed concern that a comprehensive analysis of the economic impact to the existing and future business environment, cost of living, and employment and workforce, has not been completed.
The Chamber will forward copies of its resolution to local, state and federal government officials.