With the horrible news of the school shooting in Connecticut, many parents may have questions about how to talk to their children about what happened.The child trauma and loss center at Family Service of Rhode Island, the state site for the National Child Traumatic Stress Network, is offering tips for dealing with and talking with children:
- Limit exposure to media sources and be aware that children are always listening
- Make time to talk
- If children are asking questions, reassure them that they are safe
- Allow them to discuss their feelings
- Be aware of talking about the event around your children
- Keep adult conversations for adult ears only
More tips are available at www.familyserviceri.org.