According to the National Weather Service (NWS) weather in Middletown is expected to reach 87 degrees today. There is a 50 percent of thunderstorms this afternoon, which NWS warns could be severe.
The following Town facilities have air conditioning and may be used for cooling off during the high heat conditions expected over the next few days:
700 West Main Road
Monday - Thursday / 9:30am - 8:00pm
Friday - Saturday / 9:30am - 5:00pm
Sunday / 1:00pm - 5:00pm
650 Green End Ave.
Monday - Friday / 9:00am - 4:00pm
350 East Main Rd.
Monday - Friday / 8:00am - 4:00pm
The Middletown Emergency Management Agency reminds residents that this extreme heat can be dangerous and has provided reminders how to stay safe:
- Stay hydrated
- Drink plenty of cool water throughout the day
- Avoid caffeine and alcohol
Wear light-weight, loose-fitting clothes
- If you must be outside, wear a hat and use sunscreen to protect yourself from the sun
- Avoid direct sunlight
- Avoid strenuous, outdoor physical activity. If you must exercise outdoors, do so in the morning when temperatures are cooler and the air quality is better
- The elderly, infants, and anyone with chronic health conditions may be more likely to experience heat-related illness. Check on your family, friends, and neighbors and make sure they are able to stay cool and hydrated.
- Know the signs of heat stroke: altered mental state, not sweating, nausea. Anyone experiencing these symptoms should seek medical attention immediately.
- Do not leave pets or young children in the car. It takes only minutes for the temperature inside the car to reach deadly levels.