Middletown Public Library
Originally a few shelves at the back of a mid-1800's one-room schoolhouse on Oliphant Lane, today's town library at 700 West Main Rd. can now accomodate a collection of 80,000 items thanks to renovations completed in 2003.
The Middletown Library has also remained true to its early education roots, as it continues to host lectures by world-reknowned authors, financial education seminars and other community classes, as well as enrichment activities like the Toastmasters public speaking club, and teen programs such as summer movies.
For the kids, there are summer reading programs and drop-in storytimes.
Part of the Ocean State Libraries (OSL) network, the Middletown Public Library offers card holders Internet access to search the Library Catalog from any computer onsite. Its website also hosts an impressive series of links to community resources, digital downloads and engaging and interactive tools including blogs for teens and kids. For more information, visit: http://www.middletownpubliclibrary.org/Community-Links
- Fax: 401-846-3031
- Hours: Mon -Thu, 9:30am - 8pm; Fri - Sat, 9:30am -5pm; Sun, 1pm - 5pm
- Handicap Accessible: Ramp access located by handicapped side lot parking.
- Founding Date: Jan 28 1848
- What makes this community special?: Incorporated in 1743, Middletown is among Rhode Island's earliest settlements and offers a diverse cultural heritage, well-ranked schools and an outstanding quality of life. Middletown's shoreline is ranked among the Top 5 New England Beaches.
- Parking: Free lot
- Services: Financial education seminars, author lecture series, free computer access, Food for Fines, discount passes, college and career resources, summer reading, storytime, teacher, parents and homeschool help and more
- Public restrooms: Yes
- Wi-Fi: Free
- Size of collection: 80,000
- Specialties: E-Zone digital downloads, MPL kids blog, MPL teen corner, encore, friends of Middletown Library. For complete lists and descriptions, visit http://www.middletownpubliclibrary.org/Home.
- Services: Audiobooks, Movies, Music CDs, Research databases, Resources for job seekers
- Internet use policy: Complete guidelines available at: http://www.middletownpubliclibrary.org/About-the-Middletown-RI-Library/Services-and-Policies/Public-Access-Computers
- Programs/classes: Financial education seminars, summer reading, Toastmasters, author lectures and more. For complete class schedules, visit: http://www.middletownpubliclibrary.org/Calendar
- Book donation information: The Friends of the Library Bookstore accepts donations for books to be sold or circulated, depending on condition. For more information, visit: http://www.middletownpubliclibrary.org/Friends-of-the-Middletown-Public-Library/Friends-Bookstore
- Private events: No