Newport Montessori School
Centrally-based in Middletown to meet the needs of Aquidneck Island, Newport Montessori is a small, private Montessori program serving children approximately three to six years of age. The facility opened in September of 1999.
Based on developmental studies and methodologies designed to maximize learning, the Montessori approach to early childhood education includes child-size surroundings resembling home furnishings, science and nature courses, music, foreign languages, mathematics and more. Newport Montessori's materials, methodology, and philosophy are consistent with those set by the Association Montessori International, and the American Montessori Society (AMS). For more information, visit the school's Web site.
- Hours: Half day: 9am - noon. Full day: 9am - 2pm.
- Contact email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Founding Date: Jul 01 1999
- Public/Private: Private
- Accreditation/licenses: RI Department of Education, Montessori Certified by the Association Montessori International (AMI), American Montessori Society (AMS)
- Student-to-teacher ratio: 1:6, however at times can be as little as 1:4 or most as 1:9
- Parking: Free lot
- Number of faculty: 4
- How engaged is the school with the community?: Field trips: farms or orchards, "in-house" visitors such as famous local or international authors or artists. Food or clothing drives, raising money for national associations such as Muscular Dystrophy or international agencies such as the Heifer Fund.
- What makes this community special?: French/ Art history/ Science/ Music & Drama/ Yoga. Famous author David Macaulay (MacArthur Fellowship and Caldecott Medal) or artist Tom Deininger's "junk assemblages". Nutrition Fair, World Fair, or Art Show. Parent Involvement, & Family Engagement
- Montessori: Yes
- Age range: Ages 3 - 6 years
- Uniforms: No
- Special education: No