Villari's Self Defense Center
Grandmaster Fred Villari founded his first dojo in 1968. Over the past four decades, 350 Villari's studios have opened in the U.S. and Canada.
Villari's of Middletown was established in 1985. Chief instructor Jesse Harding has a 4th degree black belt and is an advanced certified instructor in tai chi, qigong and Taoist yoga. He is also an instructor in AMOK!, a combative empty hand, stick and blade fighting system rooted primarily in Filipino martial culture.
There are classes for all ages: tots, juniors, teen, adults and seniors. Mind & Body Training includes meditation, breathing exercises, stretching and body conditioning. Private lessons are available and classes are held at the Edward King Center in Newport and the Portsmouth Senior Center.
- Hours: Classes: Mon - Sat, various times; see website for schedule. Sun, closed.
- Handicap Accessible: The entrance is level with the sidewalk.
- Payments accepted: Cash, Personal Check
- Discounts: Group/family, Senior
- Parking: Free lot
- Private events: Yes
- Number of instructors: 4
- Approx. male-to-female ratio: 50-50
- Type: Jiu Jitsu, Karate, Kung Fu, Mixed martial arts, Tai Chi
- Uses ranking system: Yes
- Uses weight classification: No
- Participates in competitions: Yes
- What is the school's training philosophy?: "Our mission is to bring out the best in you."